24 July 2013 - Ayuthaya > BKK
An unexpected surprise is when a friend decides to make your solo trip easier by picking you up at the airport. So W heard of my coming, and kindly offered to bring me around her country and even had an elaborate plan. After countless embarassing times I had to ask her to change her schedule to fit mine, I was there at Don Muang airport.

The flight was populated by Thais. Even at Changi Airport, the announcments were first made in Thai to board the aircraft, followed by in English. I was surprised that I could still understand the general idea of each sentence, having been out of practice for so long.

I queued up. But didn't realise I was in the way of a lady with a child.
'Excuse me'
I turned around.
'O!' She gaspsed and looked a little embarassed, 'Khor Thoat Kha' She said in Thai instead.
I moved out of her way and smiled.

Left a little confused why a Thai would find a farang (foreigner) an ambiguous entity, when I was right there in Singapore. And that made me worry the air stewardess wouldn't pass me my immigration card before we reached the Land of Smiles.

-----------------

It was 30 minutes past noon. 
The air in these air crafts always assaults my sinuses. I was a wreck queuing up at the immigration. A true blue farang turned around and commented that he never had any of these problems on flights. And that it seemed most Asians have it. It made sense. But we made no further conversations. 

I lugged my haversack, my guitar and my crumpler all onto the trolley. 
The officer must have thought I would be too slow to load up all the luggage onto the X-ray scanning thingy, he let me pass.
In the midst of everyone, J, W's other half stood out amongst them.

And for the rest of the day, I would get to see Ayuthaya with W&J. I felt kind of intruding yet grateful and desperate enough for some sort of guide out of Don Muang and around Thailand. 
Had I arrived at the main international airport it would've been so much easier - the airport rail, the BTS. But Don Muang has none of those. Not even selling the tourist SIM card.

------------

The drive to ayuthaya was about an hour. And when we were there, it felt like a Thai version of Kending.
Except the sea was a river instead.
Homestays could be found in every soi (alleys), every turn, and their backyards were usually the river.


Lunch was lovely, river prawns and river fish. 
I always preferred Thai food to Chinese food in terms of Tze Char style.

Then we did what all first-timers to Ayuthaya must do.
We saw the ancient ruins of Ayuthaya, the former capital of Thailand for 417 years. The main pagoda was still smack in the middle of the traffic and it became a wongwian (traffic circle/ round about).
The ruins were a UNESCO Heritage Site. Whatever that means, it seems awesome to visit it.

Except it is like the Piazzo beside the Roman Colosseum - imagination required ++.
Wind, rain and militants have assaulted the structures years ago. Though now protected, time continues to corrode it, brick by brick.

We visited the floating market. Spend time getting lost around it. And found out we had arrived too late - elephant rides were closed, cultural performances ended, shops were closing. But I bought an interesting local snack Roti Sinai (?sp). It's like popiah skin wrapped around shreds of sugar (like shredded cotton candy). Meant for dessert after dinner.

Dinner was Thai-styled barbecue. Which they ironically call it Korean style barbecue in Thai. 
Confusing much.
But its a charcoal clay base on top which we place an aluminium dome shaped appartus. The dome is pierced with many holes and serve as a hot plate for BBQ-ing meat. Around that dome would be a circular catchment area, where soup was poured in to boil instead of BBQ. 

I loved it. We all had so much to eat that Roti Sinai was reserved for breakfast instead.

--------

7am we were out. 
The homestay was so beautiful and comfortable. 
Last night I was so so tempted to just sleep without showering - yes with the BBQ smell and the day's journey on my back even. I enjoyed myself, but having slept at 5am the previous night, I was close to comatose.

The mosquito net kept the bugs out. The air con kept the heat out.
And the weariness kept the loneliness out.

Now in the morning we could see the river better. We threw in some bread we bought last night into the river and watched the little fishies jumped at them with menance. They're probably having a civil war down there over bread.

9am we reached the bus terminal, in the thick of the Bangkok traffic. 
We had planned to reach at 8.30am. 

I bid W goodbye, and regretted not bidding J goodbye as he parked the car.
I got on the bus in time, and the loneliness sunk in.

 
0 comments:
Post a Comment

Followers